The Placebo Effect in Mind Body Medicine
- If the efficacy of a drug is 30% it is discarded because the efficacy of placebos is also comparable.
- Placebos have been found to have metabolic effects tangible results.
- Adverse reactions are also possible after placebo administration.
- Placebo effect has no relation to IQ of the patient.
The study of placebo effect has proved that hope and belief can have chemical effects. A doctors words and demeanor can kindle or destroy hope words can heal and words can kill.
Is there such a thing as false hope?
Hope plays a biological role
- Peace of mind
- Capacity to Love
- Courage to be themselves
- A feeling of control over their lives
- Independent spirit
- Responsibility for decisions
- Ability to express feelings
- Sense of Humor
Factors enhancing recovery reported by Prof Sandra Levy,
Director Behavioural Med Pittsburg Cancer Instt 1984.
- Fighting Spirit
- Sense of Joy
- Relationship with intimate partner
- Relationship with Physician
Physicians who are aware of this effect can leverage its function in recovery and healing